Joseph E. Estrada served as the 13th President of the Philippines from 1998 to 2001. Here are some of his achievements and legacies as President:
- Poverty Alleviation: Estrada's administration implemented several social programs, including the establishment of the Kabataan 2000 program, which aimed to reduce poverty by providing educational and job opportunities for young people.
- Infrastructure Development: Estrada's administration initiated several infrastructure projects, including the construction of new roads, bridges, and public buildings, which helped improve transportation and communication systems in the Philippines.
- Peace and Order: Estrada's administration implemented several programs to improve peace and order in the country, including the establishment of a national anti-crime commission and the creation of a peace process with various insurgent groups.
- Pro-Poor Policies: Estrada's administration implemented policies aimed at promoting the welfare of the poor, including the implementation of the "People's Economic Recovery Program," which aimed to provide support to small businesses and farmers.
- Impeachment: Estrada's presidency was marred by controversy, including allegations of corruption and the impeachment proceedings filed against him by the House of Representatives in 2000.
- EDSA Dos: In January 2001, Estrada was ousted from power by the "People Power" movement, which led to the controversial presidency of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- Corruption Allegations: Estrada was accused of amassing wealth through corruption during his presidency, leading to his eventual conviction in 2007 for plunder, although he was later pardoned by President Arroyo.
- Juvenile Justice Law: Estrada signed the Juvenile Justice and Welfare Act of 2006, which lowered the age of criminal responsibility from 15 to 9 years old, a decision that was widely criticized by human rights groups.
Overall, Estrada's presidency was marked by his efforts to address poverty and promote infrastructure development, but his legacy is also tarnished by allegations of corruption and mismanagement. The political turmoil and instability that characterized his presidency ultimately led to his removal from power and the rise of a new administration.
Post a Comment