Majorship LET Reviewer
|LET Reviewer for Biological Science|
1. Which of the following is a part of the process of chemiosmosis?
a. Protons move along the electron transport chain.
b. Water molecules are split.
c. Hydrogen ions pass through membranes.
d. Light is absorbed by chlorophyll.
2. During mitosis, a double-stranded chromosome is attached to a spindle fiber at the ___________.
a. cell plate
3. Which is an effect of drugs on cells?
a. Produce toxic substance
b. Discontinuous cell activity
c. Cause damage to their structure
d. Poison the cell liquid
4. The cell wall of plant is made of ______________.
d. Cell membrane
5. Which is the storage cell of plants?
6. Which results from drinking saltwater?
a. Poisoning of the cells
b. Dehydration of the cells
c. Increase in cell pressure
d. Bursting of the cells
7. What kind of tissue lines our skin and what is its important function?
a. Nerve tissue; responsible for reflexes
b. Epithelial; protection fromultraviolet radiation
c. Nerve tissue; receive stimuli on the skin
d. Epithelial; produce new cells when peeled off
8. At metaphase of the first meiotic division, the chromosomes are attached to the spindle fibers as ____________.
b. non-homologous pairs
c. single chromatid strand
d. a tetrad of chromatids
9. Which type of cell would probably provide the best opportunity to study lysosomes?
d. White blood
10. Which best describes meiosis as another form of cell division with accompanying nuclear changes?
a. The nuclear changes follow one another indefinitely.
b. Each new cell has double the amount from both parents.
c. The nucleoli break up into two parts and disappear.
d. Each new cell has half the number of chromosomes.
11. How are mitochondria and chloroplasts similar to bacteria? They
a. are larger than normal cells.
b. are bounded by a single membrane.
c. lack ribosomes.
d. have a limited amount of genetic material.
12. Which is the energy storage compound used to do all forms of work of the cell?
d. Adenosine triphosphate
13. Meiosis reduces genetic make-up by half. What process brings it back to diploid state?
14. The bipolar nature of the cell membrane is due to ___________.
a. presence of carriers
b. presence of glycolipids
c. phospholipid bilayer
d. integral protein
15. When a red blood cell is placed in distilled water, it _____________.
b. remains the same
16. The “eyes” of potato are actually ______________.
c. leaf scars and buds
17. Which of these is NOT a fruit?
18. Which plant has underground stem modified for reproduction?
19. Which plants formed the vast coal beds during the carboniferous period?
20. What kind of relationship is exhibited by an alga and a fungus in lichen?
21. Chlorophyll appears green because the green portion of light is ___________.
22. The end products of dark reaction phase of photosynthesis are ADP and ________.
a. carbon dioxide
23. Which gas is needed by the seed during germination?
b. Carbon dioxide
24. Which is the universal energy source of the cell of all living things?
25. When the staminate flower is found in one plant and the pistillate flower on another, the plants is described as ___________.
26. Which pigment is dominant in red algae?
27. Which process during photosynthesis involves the addition of hydrogen?
28. The dark reaction phase of photosynthesis consists of a series of chemical reactions which end up with the formation of a 3-carbon sugar called ____________.
29. Which cell structure regulates the opening and closing of the stomata?
30. Spraying some plants with combination of auxins and gibberellins will ____________.
a. promote ripening of fruits
b. result to seed dormancy
c. allow division of cells
d. enlarge fruit growth
31. All flowering plants belong to ______________.
32. Fruit growers often propagate their plants by a sexual means because the resulting off spring will __________.
a. be an improved variety thanthe parent
b. show little variation from the parent
c. bear larger fruit than the parent
d. show no environmental variation
33. Which of the following is incorrectly paired?
a. Cnidaria- corals
b. Porifera- sponge
c. Annelida- earthworm
34. What process is cause for the upward movement of water in very tall trees?
c. Turgor pressure
d. Air pressure
35. Which popular plant is described as carnivorous?
a. Water hyacinth
c. Pitcher plant
36.What is the purpose of RA 8749?
a. Prevent rather than control air pollution
b. Formulate air pollution management
c. Utilize sustainable development
d. All of the above
37. What do you call the male gametophyte of an angiosperm?
38. Which root system is the best adapted for anchorage?
39. Egg-laying mammals are called ____________.
40. To what order do pouch bearing mammals?
d. Placental mammals
41. Large colonies belonging to class Anthozoa secrete hard skeletons of lime which later form reefs.
a. Sea anemone
42. When body parts are paired on either side of the body; this type of symmetry is called _________.
43. What substance do leeches secrete which keeps the blood they feed on liquid state?
44. One who specializes in all kinds of fishes and their characteristics has expertise on _______________.
45. In protozoans, digestion occurs in the ___________.
b. contractile vacuole
d. food vacuole
46. What is a distinguishing characteristic of Homo sapiens over the lower mammals?
a. Blood vessels
b. Sensitive skin
c. Large brain
47. What kind of adaptation enables the walking stick to elude its enemies?
a. Aggressive mimicry
b. Aggressive adaptation
c. Protective mimicry
d. Protective coloration
48. Which stages of incomplete metamorphosis is undergone by grasshopper?
a. Nymph, pupa, adult
b. Egg, larva, pupa, adult
c. Egg, nymph, adult
d. Egg, pupa, adult
49. Which are the hosts of Ascaris lumbricoides and Ascaris suum?
a. Cow and man
b. Man and dog
c. Cow and pig
d. Man and pig
50. Two organisms can be identified as belonging to the same species if they can ____________.
a. eat the same kind of food
b. breed in a natural setting
c. tolerate one another in nature
d. survive together in nature
Click the download button below to download this practice set with answers in PDF format.
Post a Comment