Majorship LET Reviewer
|LET Reviewer for Biological Science|
51. Arthropods exhibit fast and coordinated movement because they possess _____________.
a. an endoskeleton
b. jointed appendages
d. bilateral symmetry
52. The following statements are true of spiders EXCEPT
a. Have rectal glands for potassium and water reabsorption
b. Tagmata include cephalothorax and abdomen
c. Contain silk glands for web making
d. Posses 3 pairs of legs
53. The relationship that exists between insects and flowering plants is called ______________.
54. Which of the following causes our nose to “run” when we cry?
a. The lungs release water vapor.
b. Mucous glands are activated.
c. Tears enter the duct to the nasal cavity.
d. The sinuses release water.
55. What is the main function of the peripheral nervous system?
a. Communicates with the endocrine glands
b. Regulates our heartbeat and breathing
c. Controls our emotions and intelligence
d. Connects central nervous system to all organs
56. What causes our bones to turn brittle?
a. Turning into muscle tissue
b. Increase in flexibility
c. Turbidity decreased
d. Removal of collagen
57. Which part of the neuron conducts impulse from other neurons toward the cell body?
58. The tendency to react automatically to an external stimulus is called a/an _____________.
59. Which hormone promotes the development of secondary female sexual characteristics such as broad pelvis and enlarged breasts?
60. Which part of the ear is dangerously affected when sound is of hundred decibels?
b. Eustachian tube
c. Semi-circular canal
d. Tympanic membrane
61. What organs cause high concentration of calcium in the blood?
a. Liver and Pancreas
b. Pituitary and Testis
c. Thyroid and Parathyroid
d. Pineal body and Thymus
62. People who live in high altitude have blood that is described to have _____ blood cells.
a. High number of white
b. Low number of red
c. Same number of red
d. High number of red
63. Creativity is a desirable trait that should be developed among our students. Describe a creative person.
a. Creates beautiful set-ups.
b. Imitates scientists at work
C. Originates own procedures.
d. Announces same solutions.
64. If the flow of blood in a vessel is toward the heart then the vessel is identified as a ________.
65. The funnel shaped opening through which the egg cell is released to is the
a. Umbilical cord
c. Fallopian tube
d. Proximal tubules
66. Which one is insufficient in cretinism?
67. When there is no food available for days, what could serve as the fuel source of the cells in your body?
a. Fats in adipose tissue
b. Albumin in the blood
c. Cholesterol in blood vessels
d. Bone marrow inside the bone
68. What instrument has a flexible scope that is used to examine the esophagus and stomach?
69. Where does exchange of materials between the blood and other body tissues take place?
70. What explains why our lips are “redder” than out palm?
a. Many blood vessels are located around the lips
b. Lips epidermis is thinner
c. Lips are heavily keratinized
d. There is increased blood flow in the lips
71. Which part of breathing occurs when the diaphragm muscles are pulled downwards, thus increasing the chest cavity?
b. Release of energy
c. Release of gases
72. In an experiment, which is the condition being introduced and whose effect is being observed?
a. Conclusion formulated
b. Constant variable
c. Manipulated variable
d. Tentative variable
73. Which of the following pancreatic fluids is responsible for the breakdown of fat?
74. Which part of the brain controls our rate of breathing?
c. Spinal cord
75. Through what part does the embryo obtain its nourishment from the mother?
b. food tubules
c. fallopian tube
d. umbilical cord
76. What organ is controlled by the autonomic nervous system?
c. Spinal cord
d. Skeletal muscles
77. What is one of the main functions of the large intestine?
a. Excrete undigested food
b. Digest food into liquid form
c. Excrete bile pigments from ducts
d. Complete the digestion of proteins
78. What do you call food in a semi-liquid form, partially digested and mixed with hydrochloric acid?
79. Which would you advise children to prevent osteoporosis?
a. More intake of all vitamins
b. Consistent bone density test
c. Less bone exercise and fatigue
d. Adequate calcium and Vitamin D
80. Which is considered the endocrine master gland due to its influence on the activity of all the other glands?
81. What enzyme is secreted by the pancreas which splits sugar?
82. What do we get from carbohydrates and fats?
a. Cell builders
b. Tissue builders
c. Heat and energy
d. Growth regulators
83. What secretes substance which enables the sugar to be stored in the liver?
a. Islets of Langerhans
b. Adrenal medulla
c. Adrenal cortex
84. What sac protects the heart?
85. What BEST describes respiration?
a. Taking in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen.
b. Taking in oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide.
c. Breathing in a mixture of different gases.
d. Breathing in of pure gas
86. Which type of muscle tissue found in the walls of our stomach is responsible for the process of peristalsis?
87. Which of the hormone triggers ovulation?
88. What do we call a prediction that is made based on educated guess?
89. How does the liver assist the digestive system?
a. Stores starch
b. It secretes bile
c. Acts on protein food
d. Mixes with the pancreatic juice
90. What structures in the tongue make it distinguished food quality?
c. Taste buds
d. Taste epithelium
91. Which protein found in the plasma is responsible for blood clothing?
92. White blood cells are the “soldiers” of the body. They fight the disease-causing organisms. They are the ___________.
93. What blood test is used to provide information about agglutination reactions between donor and recipient blood?
a. Clotting test
b. Blood count
c. Blood chemistry
d. Type and cross-match
94. Which produce the hormone MOST closely associated with the control of calcium metabolism?
c. Adrenal glands
d. Parathyroid glands
95. What is the function of the lymph?
a. Transport oxygen
b. Contains fibrinogen
c. Enables the blood to clot
d. Protects the body from infection
96. Which part of the brain is responsible for intelligence, memory and learned behavior?
97. What is the major problem involved in organ transplants?
b. Sex of donor
c. Race of recipient
d. Antigen-antibody reaction
98. What special equipment is placed inside the heart to generate electrical impulse?
c. Heart pump
d. Artificial valve
99. The modern horse has fewer toes than its ancestors’. Such change is governed by _________.
a. use and disuse
b. natural selection
c. reduction division
d. chromosomal deletions
100. Which theory on how life began do chemists and geologists agree on today?
a. Spontaneous generation
b. Special creation
Click the download button below to download this practice set with answers in PDF format.
Post a Comment