Grammar is not as static a science as is typically assumed, but there are 20 rules of subject verb agreement that attempt to objectify part of the English language form. Most of the concepts of subject verb agreement are straightforward, yet some aspects of singular and plural usage in English grammar are more complicated.
What are the Rules?
1. Subjects and verbs must agree in number. This is the cornerstone rule that forms the background of the concept.
- The baby cries when he is angry.
- The babies cry when they are angry.
- The dog, who is chewing on my jeans, is usually very good.
- The flowers, which thrives in our backyard, are very appealing to the eyes
- The colors of the rainbow are beautiful.
- One of the universities in Pampanga is implementing a new academic calendar.
- There is a problem with the billing information.
- Here are the documents you requested.
- Does Horsy usually eat grass?
- Where are the pieces of this puzzle?
- The president and the vice president are from different political parties.
- My father and I will go to fishing today.
- Red beans and rice is my mom's favorite dish.
- Bread and cheese has been my favorite snack
- No smoking or drinking is allowed.
- Every man and woman is required to check in.
- Miguel or Christian is to blame for the accident.
- Neither Melissa nor Cathy was present yesterday.
- All of the chicken is gone.
- All of the chickens are gone.
- Four quarts of oil was required to get the car running.
- Two thirds of the members of the congress believes that president is responsible for the incident.
- Dogs and cats are both available at the pound.
- The president and the former PNP chief are both responsible for the misencounter.
- Either the bears or the lion has escaped from the zoo.
- Neither the lion nor the bears have escaped from the zoo.
- Everybody wants to be loved.
- Nobody has qualified for the special promotion.
- Few were left alive after the flood.
- Many still harbor doubts about true intention of China.
- To walk and to chew gum require great skill.
- To sketch and to paint are his professional work.
- Standing in the water was a bad idea.
- Swimming in the ocean and playing drums are my hobbies.
- The school faculty is to join a national workshop next week.
- The herd is stampeding.
- The Burbs is a movie starring Tom Hanks.
- The Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie.
Practice Test - Give it a try!
1. Either the physicians in this hospital or the chief administrator ____ (is, are) going to have to make a decision.
2. ____ (Is, Are) my boss or my sisters in the union going to win this grievance?
3. Some of the votes ____ (seem, seems) to have been miscounted.
4. The tornadoes that tear through this county every spring ____ (is, are) more than just a nuisance.
5. Everyone selected to serve on this jury ____ (has, have) to be willing to give up a lot of time.
6. Luke Miguel, together with his teammates, ____ (present, presents) a formidable opponent on the basketball court.
7. He seems to forget that there ____ (is, are) things to be done before he can graduate.
8. There ____ (has, have) to be some people left in that town after yesterday's flood.
9. Some of the grain ____ (appear, appears) to be contaminated.
10. Three-quarters of the students ____ (is, are) against the tuition hike.